Quilts are something special. I still own a very special quilt that my Grandmother made me when I was a little girl. I know I probably should put it in a hope chest or something like that but I can’t bare to be without it. I find it amazing that after so many years it hasn’t shown any wear or tear. Quilts if made well have a tendency to last for a long time and can be passed down throughout your family for generations.
I surely wish I knew how to sew and put a quilt together so I could pass them down to my children but being a young busy mom of a 15 month old with lots of other priorities, I just don’t have the time. But there are people out there that do, like Carolyn owner of Beyond Quilts, a store that can be found on Etsy.
Caroyln offers a variety of beautiful quilts, as well as other handcrafted products for people and pets at her store! I enjoyed getting to now Carolyn through my Esty Meet and Greet questions, I am sure you will too.
1.Why did you decide to start doing this on etsy and how long have you been? My daughters encouraged me to open an Esty shop two years ago. They like my stuff and thought more people would be interested in purchasing it.
2. What do you enjoy the most when creating your products? I enjoy working with the different textures, colors and creating cute, useful items. I’ve also made many quilts that I’ve donated to various organizations: Indian Reservations, Crisis Pregnancy Centers, nursing homes, Quilts of Valor – quilts given to soldiers touched by war.
3. Apart from creating things, what do you do? I have taught English as a Second Language classes for adults for 26 years. I also teach Sunday School and play the piano for the morning worship service.
4. What inspires you? I believe God has given me the desire to be creative and help others with the talents He has given me.
5.In five years you’d like to be…? In five years I would like to have a smaller stash of fabric!!! I would also like to continue blessing others in any way that I can.
I was sent a mini doll quilt and pillow to review.This quilt messures in at approximately 17″ x 20″ and the pillow is 10″ x 10″, which is the perfect size for baby dolls. I knew this quilt doll set would be perfect for my daughter as she is extremely nurturing and loves caring for her baby dolls (which is all good till she throws her cloth babies in the bath while it’s running…lol). I believe these would make the perfect gift for any little girl who loves playing with her baby dolls. I honestly couldn’t believe how affordable the complete set was at only $10.00!
Carolyn’s “I Spy…” children’s quilts are something special. I love the one that I have as it’s the perfect size for my daughter’s toddler bed! I enjoy the opportunity to point out on each of the 80 fun patterned quilt squares what we see! It makes for a wonderful learning opportunity for growing minds and fun game of you guessed it, “I Spy” for children.
I can see the care and the quality put into these quilts making them flawless. I have a good idea that these quilts, much like the one from my grandmother will last for a very long time and be loved by generations of family to come.
Winner: #64 Belinda McNabb
Beyond Quilts is generously offering one of my readers the opportunity to win a doll quilt and pillow set of their own!
To Enter: Visit Beyond Quilts and let me know what your favorite item in shop is!
* Become a Fan of Beyond Quilts on Facebook (2 extra)
* Add me to your blogroll or add my button.(2 extra)
* Blog it, link back to this post. (2 extra)
* Favorite my blog on Technorati (2 extra)
* Follow on Twitter @erinlowmaster & Tweet
* Friend/Fan @ Facebook
* Subscribe by email/RSS.
Non, bloggers & bloggers alike…
* Email a friend. (Leave name of friend)
Win a Handcrafted Doll Quilt and Pillow for Your Child @erinlowmaster http://bit.ly/3SXUe
This contest will run until October 10th 2009. If a winner fails to reply within 48 hrs, a new winner will be chosen. US & Canada, No PO Boxes, please. Thank you.