Owen’s Birth Story

Where shall I start? It’s hard to believe a week has passed by since Owen was born!
And since I am sure everyone is dying to know my birth story, here it is!

I guess I shall start in saying the day before Owen was born played a huge part. My friend Lindsey threw me a baby shower for my son (talk about cutting it close…lol).  And with that being said, I’m joking and saying it was Owen’s official launch party. That evening after the party was over my husband and I watched the movie “The Color of Magic” together on Netflix and in with things considered, the party and the nice quiet evening had really put my mind at ease and I was officially RELAXED. ..something I hadn’t been in weeks. I’m sure every mom can relate to those last few weeks of constantly wondering if every little change in their body is the jump start of actual labor. I honestly will admit I was surprised Owen had made his arrival because he’d been awfully quiet in the womb that entire Saturday. I want to mention right now that I had currently been up since 5am Saturday morning with no naps in-between.

Around 11pm that night I had mild contractions starting. I had turned in for the night and all of sudden I felt a release inside of me. It was kind of like a pop but it wasn’t audible and my water hadn’t broken as far as I could tell. My contractions were seeming to be stronger than usual and I couldn’t relax. They started at 10 minutes apart, then 8 minutes apart, and finally they were 5 minutes apart.  I knew right then when the contractions weren’t stopping and the intensity was rising that I must’ve been in labor.  I was actually pacing the house for around an hour while these were going on. This was all a bit new to me since I had my first child induced.

At 12:39am I called my hospital and they told me to come right in. I got dressed and had my husband get my 2 1/2 year old daughter up and ready. Meanwhile I was working on breathing through each contraction which I could not at all talk through. I had made up my mind to take an epidural before I actually got to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain and knew I would be exhausted since I had not slept and was quite tired out from the day. I wasn’t as relaxed at the time being either because I wasn’t sure how my 2 1/2 year old was going to behave in the hospital either, though she was great.

I was given an IV in my right arm after 2 failed attempts on my left arm. They actually had to have another nurse come in and do it. It was kinda odd since I have great veins.  Around maybe 2am the anesthesiologist arrived to administer my epidural and relieve me of my painful contractions. I will say praise God for pain medication. I was able to rest a bit before Owen’s arrival and low and behold my husband and daughter were asleep in the same room as well.  At 3am I was 5-6 cm dilated, 5am I was 7-8 cm dilated, and at 7am the Doctor on call came in and offered to break my water to speed things up. Note that this time I was able to feel the pressure of the contractions and the urge to push unlike with my first baby.

The Doctor on call ( not my normal OB GYN) honestly didn’t think he’d be delivering my baby before his shift was over. Right after my water broke I was fully dilated and my contractions were off the chart. It was show time! I thought my husband was going to miss it because he was in the bathroom and not quiet awake yet. And believe it or not my two 1/2 year old daughter slept through the whole labor. Proof if tired enough, kids can sleep through anything. I pushed 3-4 times through 7 contractions, yes I counted. LOL … My final push came after the Doctor gave me an Episiotomy.  I hated to have to have one but it was better than not being able to get the baby out naturally and much better than to have the risk of tearing.

7:12 am Owen Dominic Liam Lowmaster came into this world. He weighed in at 7lbs 15 ounces, 14 in head, and 20 1/2 inches long.  He was born with a great set of lungs and head full of black hair.  I would say I had a remotely easy labor, praise God. We headed home the next day and have been adjusting and resting as we ease into this next stage of our lives in welcoming our second child. And thus that concludes the birth story of my second child.