Archive for March 20th, 2012
Pocoyo is a children’s show about a sweet little boy and his fun animal friends, Elly the elephant, Pato, Loula and Sleepy Bird. The show has short but cute and memorable skits that I guarantee that not only kids but adults too will fall in love with.
My children ages 3 and 1 years old where introduced to Pocoyo in his fun little world on the DVD ” Pocoyo- Fun and Dance a few weeks ago. It’s been a definite hit in our home. This DVD with a running time of about 50 minutes has a total of 7 stories: The Big Sneeze, Drum Roll Please, Umbrella Umbrella, A Mystery Most Puzzling, Double Bubble, Sleepy Bird’s Surprise, and Swept Away.
Each story is around 7-8 minutes long and teaches children important character building lesson such as the importance of sharing, friendship, and much more. I like that the stories are short, simple and straight to the point. The voice over narrative by Stephen Fry is great. As Pocoyo and his friends are interacting, the narrative voice over asks questions and explains how the characters feel, what they may want, and what they are doing. This is key and keeps children engaged as to what exactly may be happening.
I would highly recommend exploring the world of Pocoyo with your child. This show is short, sweet, and makes learning fun. It’s laid back feel is a desirable factor for parents that want something that’s not annoying or overly loud as we know that some shows geared toward children can often be.
Disclosure: I received the above mentioned products in exchange for my opinion of them. This review is 100% my opinion and has not been edited or reviewed by anyone. I was not compensated in any other way for this product review.
Great Places to Take Kids in Oregon
You’ll find no shortage of travel destinations for kids and adults in Oregon. Here’s a list of some of the areas that are sure to keep kids well-engaged during their visit.
- Oregon Zoo – the kids will be enthralled to find animals from all over the world here. The Oregon Zoo is a great place to begin to teach kids about the diversity in animal life on our planet. Kids can also begin to develop an understanding of conservation practices and wildlife preservation at the zoo, which offers plenty of concerts, educational programs and seasonal events that allow families to discover and learn as they have fun.
- Wildlife Safari – if you want your kids to experience an African safari, the Wildlife Safari will not disappoint. From the safety of your vehicle, you can traverse vast areas of game parks with diverse natural scenery. Kids will enjoy seeing an amazing variety of animals in their natural habitat. Various events are held throughout the year, including animal shows that allow kids to know more about the different wildlife species on the planet.
- Oregon Museum of Science and Industry – ranked as one of the nation’s top 10 museums, kids will be thoroughly engaged by the exhibits and educational resources found here. The interactive exhibits and hands-on demonstrations here allow kids to easily develop an appreciation for science. Some of the museum’s attractions include a big screen theater and the largest planetarium in the Northwest.
- Portland’s Children’s Museum – let your kids be inspired as they engage in a journey of discovery and learning here. Founded in 1949, the museum has numerous exhibits on crafts and natural history. A pet lending library and clay studio are additional attractions.
- Garden Home Indoor Play Park – the supervised gym here makes a safe and fun environment for kids to play in. Children will be well entertained by the various games, toys and play features offered here. The activities are a great way to encourage kids to develop their social and motor skills.
- The Enchanted Playhouse – this is the perfect place for kids to enjoy a carefree existence, with lots of fun and laughter. For adults, a visit to the Enchanted Playhouse will help you to reconnect with the childlike spirit within. Features of interest here include a bouncing castle, climbing structures, puppet theater, toys and games. The site also has a gift shop and offers healthy snacks and drinks.
4. Theme Parks
- Enchanted Forest – child psychologists talk about the importance of sustaining an imaginative mind in a child. The
EnchantedForest is an excellent entertainment venue that allows kids to nurture their imaginative side. Your kids will be enthralled by the handcrafted and lush forest atmosphere here. The forest has lots of interesting sites such as the EnglishVillage, Summer Comedy Theater andWesternTown. Kids will enjoy activities such as battling dragons and monsters, picnicking, rides and water-light shows.
- The Oaks Amusement Park – this is the oldest amusement park in the US, located on the banks of the
WillametteRiver inPortland. Traditional entertainment merges beautifully with modern thrills here. There’s a good range of food available that kids love, including cheese burgers, corn dogs, hamburgers, hot dogs, ice cream, soda and candy. If you prefer healthy eating, you may pack a picnic and enjoy it along the riverfront.
5. Water Fun Sites
- North Clackamas Aquatic Park – this is a great site for swimming, surfing and other water activities. The wave pool is especially thrilling for kids. North Clackamas Aquatic Park is also a great place to hold birthday parties or other celebrations with the kids.
- Pendleton Family Aquatic Center – for the ultimate in water world fun, you’ll want to stop at
PendletonFamilyAquaticCenter. This awesome theme park has gigantic waterslides, various open and closed tubes that kids love to go through, pools and other interesting water features for kids. The park also offers picnic facilities.
Enchanted Forest. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
Garden Home Indoor Play Park. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
Oregon Zoo. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
PendletonFamilyAquaticCenter. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
Portland’s Children’s Museum. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
The Enchanted Playhouse. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
The OaksAmusement Park. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com
Wildlife Safari. (2012) FamilyDaysOut.com