Great Ways to Connect with Your Kids, One Meal at a Time!
From the Publisher…
The producer of An Inconvenient Truth, Laurie David’s new mission is to help America’s overwhelmed families sit down to a Family Dinner, and she provides all the reasons, recipes and fun tools to do so.
Laurie David speaks from her own experience confronting the challenges of raising two teenage girls. Today’s parents have lots to deal with and technology is making their job harder than ever. Research has proven that everything we worry about as parents–from drugs to alcohol, promiscuity, to obesity, academic achievement and just good old nutrition–can all be improved by the simple act of eating and talking together around the table.
Laurie has written a practical, inspirational, fun (and, of course, green) guide to the most important hour in any parent’s day. Chock-full chapters include: Over seventy-five kid approved fantastic recipes; tips on teaching green values; conversation starters; games to play to help even the shyest family member become engaged; ways to express gratitude; the family dinner after divorce (hint: keep eating together) and much more. Filled with moving memories and advice from the country’s experts and teachers, this book will get everyone away from electronic screens and back to the dinner table.
About the Author…
Laurie David, ex-wife of Larry David, is a media savvy powerhouse. She founded the Stop Global Warming Virtual March, produced the Academy Award winning documentary An Inconvenient Truth, and launched the Stop Global Warming College Tour with Sheryl Crow. She’s been featured on the Oprah Winfrey Show, Today, and Good Morning America; is a regular contributor to the Huffington Post, and is author of The Down-to-Earth Guide to Global Warming (Scholastic, 9/07).
The Family Dinner is the kind of cookbook that no family kitchen should be without. This cookbook will challenge, inspire, and leave you looking forward to digging back into it. No other cookbook have I picked up that encourages family time in the kitchen like this one. You’ll find yourself not just making great meals for your family but wonderful memories with your children!
The Family Dinner includes words of wisdom, kid friendly recipes, conversation starters, living green, and games…I love it. There’s so much in this book that there’s no way I could cover all that I like about it. So let me list the sections you’ll find in this book and what they are about!
- Why Family Dinners Matter – Sharing the importance of family togetherness and the benefits of eating together.
- Ten Simple Steps – Ten steps that are key for making family dinner time a success!
- Setting the Scene – How how to make the dinner table appealing looking!
- Fast Recipes – My favorite chapter, hands down! It’s filled with recipes that can be prepared quick. I love it teaches us how to keep a well stocked pantry for this task too!
- “Cook” Together at the Table – A chapter filled with ideas and recipes for meals that can be prepared at the table, so each family member gets to be involved.
- Souper Dinners – Features many Soup recipes that are great during the Fall and Winter season.
- Take it Slow – This chapter includes recipes for dishes that you can make when you have more free time and then save or freeze them for the days you don’t have much time. Another favorite chapter!
- Meatless Monday – This chapter is filled with vegetarian dishes.
- Kids in the Kitchen – Spotlights lots of kid friendly recipes that they can help prepare.
- Your Green Table – This chapter has tips on being green and how you can teach your children to be eco-friendly!
- Table Talk – This chapter has tips and ideas for conversation starters and games that can be played at the dinner table.
- Read Around the Table – This chapter includes more ideas and tips for discussions.
- Grandparents and the Extended Family – This chapter includes recipes and tips for including other family members into the family togetherness.
- Two Homes, One Table – This chapter suggests ways to keep the family together even after a divorce.
- Grace is Gratitude – This chapter has tips and ideas on ways to show and teach gratitude.
- Play With Your Dessert – This chapter is full of fun. It includes dessert recipes and games that can played after dinner to keep the togetherness going.
I tried out one of the Apple Sauce recipes from this book and loved it! I can’t wait to try out several more such as the Rainy-Day Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons, Homemade Tomato Sauce, and even a few of the recipes for home made cleaners (no kidding, this book has everything)!
I highly recommend this book to be on the shelf of every kitchen! You can purchase this book on Amazon for under 20.00! You can also check for it at your favorite bookstore! But thanks to Hatchett, one of my readers is going to have a chance to win this fantastic book!
One winner will receive The Family Dinner Cookbook. Giveaway is open to USA & Canada only.
To Enter: Let me know what one recipe you always enjoy making during the Holiday Season!
1. Blog this giveaway, link back to this post. (2 extra)
2. Follow on Twitter @erinlowmaster & Tweet (daily entries available)
3. Post this giveaway on a Giveaway Linky/Site and let me know where!
4. Email a friend(s) about this giveaway. (Leave name of friend)
5. Subscribe to my blog by RSS or E-mail (Feed Burner) and let me know!
6. Become a Facebook Fan of Connected2Christ and leave me a comment there letting me know you are coming from this giveaway.
Giveaway running till 11/20/10 . Winners will be notified shortly afterward by email. Please respond within 48 hours or you forfeit your prize to another participant. USA & Canada only. One winner per household.
Disclosure: I received a copy of the book in exchange for my honest opinions. The book copy information and cover image were provided by Hachette Book Group. I did not receive any monetary compensation. All opinions and thoughts expressed in this post are my own.